Taverns have served our nation for generations, standing as important community and social locations that led to independence.
- Philadelphia’s City Tavern was host to members of the First Continental Congress in 1774.
- Philadelphia’s Tun Tavern was the birthplace of the United States Marine Corps in 1775.
The Tavern Association was founded after prohibition, in 1941, to defend and promote the state’s taverns and businesses.
Over the decades, our association has worked to update laws to fit a new economic environment and continue the successes of our industry.
Today, our association is the only non-profit trade and lobby organization exclusively serving the retail licensees of Pennsylvania.
WHO WE ARE
The Tavern Association is comprised of retail licensees all across Pennsylvania, including restaurants, bars, taverns, resorts and bottle shops.
We work to maintain a positive business climate to ensure continued growth for our taverns and licensees.
We work with our members in many ways, offering various insurances, industry certifications and guidance in navigating laws and regulations.
SERVING OUR COMMONWEALTH
Our industry plays an important role in Pennsylvania’s local and state economy. 6,000 licensed businesses employ over 100,000 Commonwealth citizens every year.
Annually those businesses contribute:
- $72,000,000 in local taxes and school taxes
- $67,300,000 in liquor taxes
- $346,000,000 for inventory from Pennsylvania State Stores
SERVING OUR COMMUNITIES
Our members continue to give back to the communities they serve, donating to the following charities & organizations:
- American Cancer Society
- American Red Cross
- Autism Speaks
- American Rescue Workers
- Allentown Rescue Mission
- Boy Scouts of America
- Breast Cancer Walk
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- Carlisle Rotary
- Cub Scouts of America
- Cultural Alliance
- Elder Community Services Corp.
- Girl Scouts of America
- Hughesville Fire Company
- Lehigh Valley Veterans Assoc.
- LGBT Center Coalition
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- March of Dimes
- Mason Dixon Baseball Assoc.
- Mountville Youth Center
- Newspapers in Education
- Philadelphia Children’s Hospital
- Relay for Life
- The Salvation Army
- Special Olympics
- Students Against Drunk Driving
- South Central AIDS Fund
- Toys for Tots
- United Way
- Victim Assistance Center
- West Grove Public Library
- Williamsport Police Department
- YMCA of the Juniata Valley
- York Fire Department
- Plus many more!
From neighborhood taverns, bottle shops, delis and corner pubs to five-star restaurants and resorts, our licensees are an important part of our state and local communities.
The Pennsylvania Licensed Beverage and Tavern Association looks to continue building a business environment that benefits the industry and customers alike.