Now that winter is here, it is important for business owners to keep in mind the potential hazards that snow, ice, and cold temperatures could bring. Here are some suggestions that may help reduce safety hazards and potential claims:
- Check your parking lots and sidewalks for potholes and low areas where ice could collect and cause a slip/trip hazard.
- Remove the accumulation of leaf debris and trash which may cause a fire hazard near smoking receptacles or kitchen exhaust fans. Wet leaves on walkways could also create a slip hazard.
- Walk the property after dark to determine if public areas are well-lit and to identify fixtures or bulbs that are no longer working and need to be repaired or replaced.
- Confirm that you have snow shovels and ice melt to clear snow and ice from sidewalks, entrances, and exits. Don’t be caught by surprise when the sleet/snow begins to fall.
- Hire a snow removal service or ready your equipment if you are handling yourself.
- Throughout the property, confirm that handrails are installed where needed and those that are present are secured. Handrails are especially important when steps and sidewalks are slick with ice and snow.
- Post signs in areas that are susceptible to ice and snow accumulation and have sand or kitty litter available to cover icy patches.
- Address winter weather driving safety with your delivery staff to reduce vehicle accidents and injuries.
- Have extra non-slip mats on premises to add when conditions are wet to reduce slip and trip hazards.
Illinois Casualty Company is the Pennsylvania Licensed Beverage and Tavern Association’s exclusive preferred vendor for businessowners and liquor liability insurance products. Qualifying Members can save up to 10% on their businessowners and liquor liability insurance. This story has been republished with permission in our monthly magazine, Pennsylvania Beverage Media. To locate an ICC agent in your area, visit www.ilcasco.com.